Vote the Card Today
Today is election day! The Caucus’ Education and Advocacy developed a platform that reflects important political issues we would like to see pursued by all of our endorsed candidates. We are proud to say that all of our endorsed candidates for school board have signed on to our policy platform. Vote today so that we can work in partnership with our endorsed candidates to create important change for our community. See the platform below:
Houston GLBT Political Caucus
Education Policy Platform
The Houston GLBT Political Caucus Education Policy Platform is a reflection of the important educational issues to Houston’s gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, and ally community. It is intended to serve as a guide to the policy issues that endorsed candidates, endorsed elected officials, and elected officials who support the community should advance within their particular political sphere. The LGBTQI community reflects a variety of intersecting identities, including, but not limited to, race, gender, immigration status, disability and other vulnerable groups. We encourage all of our endorsed candidates and those seeking our endorsement to challenge discrimination and discriminatory policies related to any of these intersecting identities.
- Gender neutral bathrooms and changing facilities in all HISD buildings.
- Professional development training that is focused on how to prevent discrimination of LGBTQI teachers, staff, parents, and students.
- Same-sex partnership benefits for faculty and staff.
- Trainings that inform teachers of their rights to protect LGBTQI students.
- Developing better hiring practices that recruit LGBTQI staff and teachers as well as weed out individuals who do not value diversity.
- Inclusion of LGBTQI history in the curriculum.
- Commit to significantly reducing disparities in in-school and out-of school suspensions and expulsions for students in special education, Black students, male students, and LGBTQI students.
- Implement pilot school-wide restorative practices programs in multiple grade levels and multiple campuses.
- Develop and subsequently require annual in-person training for teachers, principals, and administrators regarding positive discipline practices, including restorative practices.
- Commit to speaking out against other elected officials and individuals who disparage the LGBTQI community.